Derek Kotter, MA, Program Coordinator
Center for Global Citizenship, Room 103
(270) 384-7463 firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Spanish Program is to provide students with
the opportunity to learn the Spanish language and appreciate the
culture of Spanish-speaking peoples around the world.
Some courses taken for the minor may simultaneously fulfill
general education requirements. Please see the Graduation
Requirements (bachelor's degrees) section of this catalog for
information on the general education program.
Students should note that the minor contributes 18 hours toward
the required 39 hours of 3000-4000 level coursework.
Program Requirements: 24
Along with the general education
program and a major, students must complete the minor's
prerequisites and core requirement and must select program
electives as indicated.
A. Prerequisites: 6 hours
- Elementary Spanish I (SPAN 1013) -- 3 hours
- Elementary Spanish II (SPAN 1023) -- 3 hours
B. Core Requirement: 3 hours
- Intermediate Spanish I (SPAN 2033) -- 3 hours
C. Program Electives (select from the
following): 15 hours
- Intermediate Spanish II (SPAN 2043) -- 3 hours
- Spanish Conversation (SPAN 3013) -- 3 hours
- Hispanic Film (SPAN 3023) -- 3 hours
- Latin American Culture & Civilization (SPAN 3033) -- 3
- Medieval-Golden Age Spain (SPAN 3043) -- 3 hours
- Introduction to Spanish Literature (SPAN 3113) -- 3 hours
- Introduction to Latin American Literature (SPAN 3123) -- 3
- Special Topics in Spanish (SPAN 3803) -- 3 hours
- Advanced Grammar & Composition (SPAN 4103) -- 3 hours
- Study Abroad (3000-4000 level) -- credit hours may vary
- Oral Exit Interview: Students will be required
to interview with the Spanish professor(s) to demonstrate oral
proficiency and critical thinking in the Spanish language.
- Composition Portfolio: Students will
compile a portfolio of five (5) written compositions that best
reflect their writing style, knowledge of the Spanish language and
critical thinking abilities. These compositions may be taken
from any of the required program core and elective courses.