April 28, 2011
LINDSEY WILSON COLLEGE
NATIONAL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
ALUMNI COUNCIL MEETING
Katie Murrell Library
April 28, 2011
Dr. Gary Lane '61
Monica Johnson '04
Bonnie Greenawalt '53
Dr. J.M. Stephenson '47
Gary Franklin '94
Ben C. Burr '64
Jan K. Woody '77
Allysa Gooden '08
Sheena London '08
Danielle Oldham '04
Rev. Kenneth Jessee '81
Randy Burns '93
- The meeting was called to order by Dr. Lane, who then asked
Gary Franklin to open the meeting with a word of prayer.
- Motion by Dr. Stephenson to accept minutes as read, Second by
Ken Jessee, All in favor.
- Randy discussed the final plans for the second travel offering
of the year through the Blue Raider Travel Program; a six day bus
tour in conjunction with Toby Tours of Louisville, KY to Washington
D.C., Monticello, VA, and Williamsburg, VA. Randy distributed
extra flyers for the trip upon request. Jan Woody shared with
the group that she and a guest planned to participate in this
- Randy and Dr. Lane discussed the upcoming Class of '61
reunion. There are 11 members of the class of '61 currently
signed up to participate in the induction to the "Lindsey Wilson
College Golden Alumni Society."
- Randy presented the dates for the two scheduled area alumni
events. The LWC Day at Keeneland is to be held April 29 in
Lexington and the LWC Evening at the Hot Rods (minor league
baseball in Bowling Green, KY) is to be held August 5.
- Dr. Lane asked for reports from the area coordinators in
regards to the "Lindsey Wilson Cares - Alumni Community Service
- Randy reported on behalf of Becky Bragg who was not able to be
in attendance that the Bowling Green event would still be a Habitat
for Humanity project, however, because of a delay in the
construction process we have not been able to nail down a date for
that communities event.
- Monica Johnson reported that the Lexington event would also be
a Habitat for Humanity project. The scheduled date for that event
is September 17 from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (e.s.t.). She has
been in contact with a group of alumni in the Lexington area to
begin the process. Those alumni include Leigh Oakley,
Jonathan Carr, Curtis and April Bramel, and Tiffany Skaggs.
- Randy reported on behalf of Amy Thompson-Wells, who was not
able to be present, that the Columbia project was to be held in
conjunction with the campus fall community service day.
- No information was available for the Louisville event.
- Randy shared with the council that the LWC would be
establishing a month e-newsletter for alumni and friends and that
he hoped it would be up and running no later than June. Gary
Franklin suggested that the publisher of the newsletter (LWC public
relations director Duane Bonifer) consider posting upcoming campus
events such as cultural events and student activity events.
- Randy announced that Homecoming 2011 will be held Oct.
21-22. Ken Jessee made note that the class of '81 will be
celebrating their 30 year reunion this year and would be interested
in helping organize that reunion. A discussion followed on how to
attain better attendance at Homecoming reunions. Randy
suggested that all class year reunions be held together under a
tent at the stadium preceding the football game. This idea
was warmly received.
- Dr. Lane announced that the Founder's Day Banquet would be held
later in the evening following the meeting.
- Dr. Lane announced that the next alumni council meeting would
be held July 13 at Mulligan's at the Pines. The group will
meet at noon for lunch, followed by the meeting.
- A motion was made by Ken Jessee, seconded by Allysa
Gooden, to table the discussion and expected vote to amend Article
VI, Section 3 and Article XIV of the LWC By-laws until the July 13
alumni council meeting due to the proposed amendments not yet being
circulated among membership for 15 days prior to the vote.
All were in favor.
- A motion was made by Ken Jessee, seconded by Monica Johnson, to
reconsider the proposed amendment to Article IV of the Alumni
Association Constitution and Article III, Section 1 of the By-laws,
which would have amended the number of hours necessary to be
considered an alumnus/alumnae of Lindsey Wilson College. All
were in favor.
- Discussion then followed which included the recommendation of
the alumni director to not amend the By-laws as written due to the
negative impact it would have on Development Office efforts to
increase LWC's percentage of alumni giving.
- Following the discussion the issue died on the floor due to a
lack of a motion, meaning no action will be taken in regards to
hours needed for alumni status.
- Randy announced that due to Development Office budget
constraints, new Walkway brochures were not able to be printed to
date. The project has been approved by V.P. of Development
Kevin Thompson to go to print as of July 1, 2011, the beginning of
the new fiscal year.
- Randy announced that the alumni council nominating committee
had selected LWC sophomore Chrystal Kalogris as the recipient of
the 2011/2012 Alumni and Friends Walkway Scholarship.
Committee members were extremely complimentary of the caliber of
essays received this year. Randy will notify Chrystal, the
financial aid office, and the other students which entered the
- Dr. Lane scheduled a meeting of the nominating committee for
the purpose of developing a ballot for Homecoming 2011 alumni
awards to be held on June 22 at 10:30 a.m.
Upon the request of Dr. Lane, Ken Jessee made a motion to
adjourn. All in favor.