July 13, 2011
Lindsey Wilson College
National Alumni Council Meeting
July 13, 2011
Mulligan's at The Pines
Those in attendance were:
Allysa L. Gooden
Dr. Julius Stephenson
Carrie L. Farris
Jan K. Woody
Bonnie L. Greenawalt
- Following lunch, the meeting was called to order by Dr.
Lane. Prayer was offered.
- Special thanks to Duane Bonifer, Director of Public Relations
for Lindsey Wilson College, who took a group picture outside on the
- Minutes from the last meeting were presented for
approval. Motion by Dr. Stephenson to approve. All in favor.
- Informational items
- The trip to Ireland was an enjoyable experience for the
travelers though we were disappointed that only 10
- Randy noted that thus far 13 people have signed up for the fall
bus tour trip to Washington D.C. scheduled for Oct. 3-9.
- Randy discussed having a table or two set up for Homecoming to
promote the Alumni and Friends Walkway. Sample bricks and
brochures would be available.
- Public Relations has designed a new e-mail newsletter for
alumni and friends of LWC.
- The LWC Night at the Hot Rods area event for Bowling Green is
scheduled for August 5 at 6 p.m.
- The group discussed the plan to continue hosting an event in
L-ville in conjunction with an off Broadway production and the
Keeneland event in Lexington. The group agreed that Fiddler
on the Roof would be a good production for the group to see this
winter. The idea was proposed to switch those events in the
two cities next fiscal year and have a day at Churchhill Downs and
an even at The Lexington Opera House. Randy asked Allysa and
Monica to explore the idea.
- Randy reported on alumni giving for the 2011 fiscal year which
ended on June 30. As of the first week of July, the total
number of alumni gifts stood at 823, the number Randy reported
during the meeting. After all gifts were processed, however,
LWC finished the year with 883 alumni gifts. While this fell
short of the goal of 1,000 alumni gifts, it was a positive increase
of 59 gifts from 2010.
- Old Business
- The council revisited the proposal to amend Article VI, Section
3 of the LWC By-laws to read "All Lindsey Wilson College Alumni
Chapters shall be organized and operated according to the
"Guidelines for Establishment and Operation of Lindsey Wilson
College Alumni Chapters." Motion by Dr. Stephenson to
accept. All in favor.
- Also revisited the proposal to strike Article XIV of the LWC
By-Laws which specifically deals with "fiscal affairs" of the
association considering the Association does not manage any fiscal
affairs. Motion by Ken to accept. All in favor.
- "Lindsey Wilson Cares - Alumni Community Service Day" projects
are schedule for Bowling Green, KY on August 27 and in Lexington,
KY on September 17. Both projects are Habitat for Humanity
- Randy reminded the Council that permanent email addresses are
available through the College now. They would appear
as email@example.com (for
example). Council members interested in having a LWC
email address were: Ben, Ken, Gary Lane, Monica, Carrie, Gary
Franklin, Jan, and Bonnie. If other council members are
interested, please contact the alumni relations office for more
- New Business
- Randy updated the Council on tentative Homecoming plans. The
event is scheduled for Oct. 21-22.
- The next alumni council meeting will be held Friday, Oct. 21 at
3 p.m. in the Clark Reading Room of the Katie Murrell
- A display table for the Walkway bricks will also be set up at
the football stadium on Oct. 22 for alumni who come to the game but
do not come onto campus. Council members who expressed
interest to help work the table included Carrie, Monica, and
Ken. If anyone else would like to help with this worthy
project, please contact Randy before Homecoming.
- Highlights of Homecoming include the Pig Roast on Friday night,
the Helen G. Flatt Alumni Art Show, and multiple reunion groups;
just to name a few.
- Possible new events include a car show and a little Mr. and
Mrs. LWC pageant.
- There was discussion on how to entice individuals to come to
main campus for morning activities before the afternoon happenings
at the stadium. The idea was proposed to provide a shuttle
service. Randy will explore that idea, but cautiously due to
the logistics involved in providing such a service.
- Alumni Awards Election
- The council selected Bill Mauney '61 as the recipient of the
2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- The council selected Dr. Rickey Farmer '00 as the recipient of
the 2011 Outstanding Young Alumnus Award.
- The council selected Nancy Sinclair to be honored as the 2011
Honorary Alumnae of the Year.
- Meeting Adjourned
Secretary, LWC Alumni Council