Click to access the LWC Homepage!
print e-mail
Health Insurance FAQ's

Top Ten FAQ's about the Student Health Insurance Coverage

  1. If I get sick, can I just go to any doctor that I want?
    • Yes, as long as the provider you choose is in the network.
  2. What if I am not at school and I get sick or injured and need to see a doctor?
    • If you become sick or injured when you are away from school, just go to your family physician or nearest hospital if needed (remember the provider you choose needs to be in the network for the insurance company to pay the full benefits).
  3. If I go to the doctor, do I just give them this card, and will everything be paid for?
    • No, you will have a 20% co-pay, which will need to be paid at the time of your visit (until you receive your insurance card, you will have to pay up front and get reimbursed when you receive your card). After your co-pay, then the insurance company will pay the first $500.00 at a 100% if they approve the claim.
  4. Will the doctor's office accept this insurance plan through the school?
    • Yes, this is a comprehensive health plan.  If the provider has a question about your eligibility for insurance coverage, just have them call the Blue Raider Sports Medicine and ask for Terri at 270-384-8238 or the Business Office at 270-384-8011 to answer any questions they may have.
  5. Does my insurance pay for prescriptions if I need to go to the pharmacy?
    • Yes, you will be charge a 20% co-pay for your prescriptions up front at the pharmacy (until you receive your insurance card, you will have to pay full price for prescriptions, then when you receive your card, you will be reimbursed up to your 20%).  You will have a $500.00 limit which includes any treatment you have for each sickness or accident you may have including your prescription cost.
  6. A friend of mine has another student insurance plan at another college, but it only covers him if he is at school. Is this plan like that?
    • No, this is a comprehensive health plan- it covers you for one full year.  It starts on August 1, 2016 and will cover you until August 1, 2017.  This insurance only covers sickness only.
  7. If I forget to go and see the nurse or athletic trainer, will my plan still cover me?
    • Yes, you don't have to see the nurse for a referral to see a doctor with our coverage this year as in the past.
  8. Does this plan cover dental and eye care?
    • No, this sickness plan does not cover routine dentistry or eye care.  There is one provision with the accident policy, that if your eyes or teeth are injured in an accident, it will pay up to a $300.00 maximum per accident. (Each full-time student is covered under the Lindsey Wilson College Accident Policy).  *  See Accident Brochure
  9. If I lose my insurance coverage through a personal plan or through a parent, can I pick up the school insurance plan?
    • Yes, but only if your coverage has been involuntarily terminated due to no fault of the insured student, which includes coverage that terminates due to a loss of employment by spouse or parent or if the student exceeds the age limit of a policy.
  10. If I have another insurance plan, but I want to get this plan, can I?
    • Yes, you can.  In this case, the school insurance would become a "secondary" insurance coverage to your personal coverage that you have at the time of admissions.  Your primary coverage will be billed first for services and then the school insurance would be filed second.  Many people are considering this coverage, since this plan is relatively inexpensive, and you can easily go over $285.00 in co-pays and other costs if you have a serious illness.
Feedback and CommentsSite MapDirections  
Every Student, Every Day
2008 Lindsey Wilson College
210 Lindsey Wilson St. Columbia, Ky 42728
Local: (270) 384-2126
Fax: (270) 384-8200
Toll Free: (800) 264-0138